Airbrush Tanning Questions & Answers
What is spray tanning?
Spray Tanning is the latest trend to hit the tanning industry. A spray tan technician uses a spray gun to apply a tanning solution (DHA) to the client's body. The spray gun is attached to an air compressor and the solution is applied in the same form as if one were spray painting.
Is it safe?
Yes, sunless tanning is a safe and proven method of obtaining a tan. As with any personal product, sensitivity can occur but is very rare. If an individual has ever had any adverse effects utilizing self-tanning products or moisturizers, they may experience similar effects with spray tanning. The active ingredient, DHA or dihydroxiacetone is derived from sugar beets and has been FDA approved for topical application and used for tanning creams since the 1960s. DHA has also been used in foods and cosmetics for decades. When DHA comes in contact with amino acids of the skin, it creates a natural chemical reaction that causes the skin to appear tanned.
Does spray tanning protect me from the sun?
NO! Spray tanning does NOT protect you from the sun. It is recommended that a sunscreen be used at any time you go out into the sun.
How long does a spray tan last?
Depending on the skin type, a spray tan can last 8 to 12 days (depending how well you moisturize daily). Like a suntan, the sunless tan will fade gradually, as your skin exfoliates. However, you can help to extend your tan by using inexpensive moisturizers daily. Expensive moisturizers tend to exfoliate, you don't want that.
How often can I tan?
Tanning can be performed every 3 to 7 days if desired. Spray tanning back to back on the same day is not advised, as it does not give the DHA time to set between tans.
How many times does a person need to spray tan to achieve the color they want?
Everybody's skin type and color is unique. A person will tan after one session, but they may want an additional session to achieve a deeper shade of tan. Once they reach the desired color, they should be able to maintain it by tanning once a week. Darker tanning solution is also available for a nominal cost.
How long does it take for a session?
Full body session take less than 5 minutes. A facial takes less than a minute. The solution dries in seconds.
Will spray tan cause freckles?
No. In fact, in most cases, freckles and blemishes will be less pronounced because the lighter skin areas are darkened to help skin color evenly.
Will spray tanning work on fair-skinned people?
Yes. We have very satisfied customers who were formerly lily white and now are completely satisfied with their color after spray tanning.
Do I have to take my clothes off for the application?
No, this is an individual choice. You can wear a bikini, swimsuit, g-string, bra and panties or be naked, it's entirely up to you. Male clients must wear some form of undergarment. We also supply wraps for tanning for a minimal fee.
What is the cost of spray tanning?
Spray tanning is priced competitively with other forms of tanning. A single spray tan is priced at $35.00 with bulk packages available that lower this price considerably. One application of spray tan will quickly produce an equivalent of appoximately 8 tanning bed sessions, therefore making it cost effective.
How do I prepare for my spray tan session?
1. Shower or bathe and exfoliate prior to your session. Since the chemical process affects only the top layer of skin, as your skin sloughs off, your tan can go with it. You skin must be smooth, clean and dry to get a smooth and clean tan. NO LOTIONS PRIOR TO TANNING. NO LOOFAH. Loofah sponges can cause streaking. We recommend pre-tan exfoliating with a rough wash cloth or exfoliating wash.
2. Wear loose fitting, dark clothing and flip-flops shoes (if possible) after your spray tan session. Tight or rough clothes, such as jeans, will rub on your skin and reduce the effect of your tan. The tanning solution may stain silk, wool and synthetic fabrics, so these should not be worn in the first 24 hours after the spray tan session.
How do I maximize my spray tan?
1. Limit physical activity for 8-12 hours following your spray tan session.
2. Do not shower or get wet for at least 8 to 12 hours after tanning. DHA continues to react to amino acids of your skin for up to 12 hours.
3. Use a moisturizer on your skin morning and night between spray tans.
4. The time of year will affect your skin, and therefore, your tan. Keep moisturized.
5. Long hot baths or long showers are great for pre-tan exfoliation, but can cause a tan to fade prematurely. The skins soaks and softens with length of time exposed and this can speed up the exfoliation process. Only use a soft cloth for washing when you are tanned.
6. Pat dry after showering or bathing. DO NOT RUB.
7. Use a sharp, clean razor with a lubricating product when shaving. Hair conditioner works well. Avoid hair remover products (Nair, Neet, wax, etc).
8. Avoid harsh soaps such as deodorant bar soap.
9. Anti-acne products (including Retin-A type products) and makeup removal products may cause tan to fade.
10. Avoid exfoliating scrubs, facial masks and toners containing alcohol.
11. Swimming in a chlorinated pool or hot tub can cause tan to fade prematurely. The application of thick, waterproof sunblock, prior to swimming, may help reduce fading.